Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Today's Moment of Awkward: Savage Garden at the 8th Grade Dance


Let me set the scene.  It's 1998.  It's the last dance of the 8th grade.  I am dancing with my 8th grade boyfriend, who is pretty much my first real boyfriend since my Dad thought my 6th grade boyfriend was a kid I was babysitting.  Truly Madly Deeply by Savage Garden comes on which means we'll have to slow dance.  It's awkward.  It's like I have too many feet and my breath is probably bad and why are our faces so close and what do I look at GOD WHAT DO I LOOK AT?!  He's not saying anything and I'm not saying anything and it's so horrible.  So I say the first thing that comes to mind.  I quote a line from the song that I had always found odd.


Me:  I want to bathe with you in the sea?

He didn't hear the question mark.  Why didn't he hear the question mark??

8th Grade Boyfriend: You do?

Me:  No, no.  It's the song.

8th Grade Boyfriend: The song wants to bathe me?

Me: No!

8th Grade Boyfriend: I'm going to go get a drink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment