Thursday, May 10, 2012

Words I Can't Stand / Today's Moment of Awkward: Lovers at the Pet Store

I’m not talking about the C-word here, or the F-word or B-word or whatever other letter-dash-words there are.  I’m talking about the word Lover.  Say it slowly.  Lover.  You know what’s even worse?  Made Love.  Last night I Made Love to my Lover.  I just threw up.  Sensuous.  Moist.  Sepulveda. (Don’t ask, that one came from a co-worker)  Last night My Lover Made Love to my Sensuous Moist Sepulveda.  (I’m starting to understand Sepulveda).  

This brings me to an awkward encounter I had at a pet store.  My boyfriend and I were buying a few things for the dogs and the cashier asked if I had the store’s discount card.  I don’t, but my parents do so I gave her their phone number.

Cashier: So you must be Linda (my mom)?

Now I probably could have explained that Linda and David are my parents, but being the awkward person I am I decided it made more sense to lie.

Me: Yes.  Linda.  It is true.  That is my name.  I am Linda.

Cashier: (to my boyfriend)  And you must be her husband, David?

Boyfriend: No.  I’m her lover.

I think I laughed maniacally at this point and then broke down in gibberish noises, although I’m not sure because everything went black for a while.  Needless to say the cashier was very confused.  I tried to make it better by saying:

Me: David is my father.

That did not make it better.  Somehow that brought up images of incest and other gross things.  I left the store in shame.  My boyfriend was laughing.




No comments:

Post a Comment