Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My Rules for Being a Tomgirl

A few weeks ago a friend at work told me that she had a list of rules for being a proper girl (I may be paraphrasing, but proper sounds British-ey, so I'm going with it).  She implied that she had compiled thousands of rules but these are the three she shared with me:

1.  Never go out with chipped nails.
2.  Never have more than two drinks on a first date.
3.  Never pay on a first date.  Don't even reach for your wallet.  Don't even admit that you have money, or know what it is.  When he takes out his wallet ask what that funny green stuff it.  (Again, I may be paraphrasing)

Looking at that list I realized that I have broken every single one of those rules at one time or another.  In the course of a week my nails are chipped an average of six days.  Sometimes more.  And yet I continue to wear nail polish.  The other day my boyfriend told me I don't own enough shoes.  When a straight male tells you that you don't own enough shoes I'm pretty sure that's grounds for them to take away your vagina.  But at the same time I'm one of the few girls in my office who wears dresses to work, on occasion.  I enjoy watching sports on TV, but anytime I've tried to play them in real life I've inevitably gotten hit in the head with a softball.  Even when I wasn't playing softball.  It takes me 30-45 minutes to get ready in the morning and do my hair and make-up, but then throughout the course of the day I never once brush my hair or reapply my make-up.  I consider myself medium maintenance.

I am obviously not a "proper girl", but I'm also not a tomboy.  I am... a tomgirl!  (Trademark pending me applying for a trademark.)  While I consider myself the perfect example of this phenomenon, I know that there are others out there like me.  Now with this rallying call we shall band together and continue to paint our nails sporadically.

No comments:

Post a Comment